Are You Smiling Yet? If not- You will be!

No one's looking, it's safe. Go ahead- Smile & have yourself a little giggle as you read about my life and the thoughts that come spilling out of my head. (Watch out for flooding though- my head's not as near as empty as my husband claims it to be!) If my ramblings don't make your day a little brighter nothing will! I promise I won't be offended if you laugh at my expense- I consider it an honor to spread happiness. Besides- if I can laugh at myself you certainly can too!

Monday, December 5, 2011

The 4 Gift Rule & My Own Expanded Version

I seen this posted on FB by one of my best friends:


I've always believed this gift-giving rule is great. It keeps things simple and prevents over-buying (and spending), curbs the "gimmes" and helps not fill up your house with a bunch of over-priced, poorly-made, going-to-be-broken-or-forgotten-about-within-a-week junk. It helps us re-focus on what this holiday season really is about. Whether that is religious or spiritual beliefs or simply a focus on kindness, giving and family & friends.  :o)

While I think this rule is great- I've never been able to go quite that simple. We do something along these lines- but I couldn't cut back to just 4 gifts. I guess have the expanded version of the 4 gift rule. LOL


  1. Something they Want (usually a toy or video game)
  2. Something they Need/can Wear (Eldest always needs clothes since he grows so fast & the Littles always get a new shirt b/c ALL of their clothes are second-hand and I think they deserve something new at least once a year. Usually socks & undies show up too.)
  3. Something to Read (a new book)
  4. Something to Play (a board or card game)
  5. Something to Do (usually a jigsaw puzzle or a word search/puzzle type book)
  6. Something to Create (like a coloring book, drawing pad, art supplies)
  7. Something to Watch (a movie)  This one isn't a must- but it usually is included b/c I find great deals on new or used DVD's and we love having family movie time.  :o)
 Then of course there's the gifts Santa brings. He brings 1 or 2 gifts for each boy off their wishlist, depending on what they are. Momma had a talk with Santa a few years ago and asked him to cut back on his gifts and he was nice enough to agree. Mommy also is in contact with Santa each year to let him know what items are ok to bring and what ones she requests be vetoed. ;o)

Santa also takes the time to help fill the stockings. He decided to make Mom's Christmas morning a little less hectic by putting an orange in the toe, along with a small juice bottle & mini donuts for us to munch on while opening gifts. He's usually pretty thoughtful and sticks a new toothbrush in there as well. And he never forgets some cool fun-flavored chapstick for the boys either. If the boys were extra good that year then he puts in a small candy treat & small toy (like matchbox car or new earbuds) as well. Mom sometimes will sneak a few things in the stocking before Santa comes too- especially in Daddy's stocking.

Now I'm curious as to what all other parent's gift giving ideas/rules at Christmas are. How do you control the craziness of this gift-giving season frenzy? Or do you not even try? Please share with me in the comments. No judgement here. :o)  Just curious. While I admit I'm not able to go as simple as this rule- our tree is nearly as over-loaded as it once used to be years ago.

2 comments:

Edissa Inspirational Art said...

I have NEVER been a big spender at Christmas. I don't know why, but i just haven't. Maybe it's because I never expected that and this season for our family, isn't about shiny gifts under a tree, but all those really important things like faith, family and gifting back to those we are thankful for. But, in turn it is a bit of a drawback (not having this glorious gift giving view) from the stand point that I don't have a lot of direction with my gifts either. I never realized it, but this was a rule my mom kind of followed. We never had a whole lot, usually one thing we'd been dreaming about, a book/s and some sort of new clothes we wanted/needed. And if there was extra, we'd get something they wanted us to have. Now that my boys have reached the age where they are a bit more...aware? of what is expected under the tree, this was a God sent for me personally! And, if "one" of the gifts is small, getting more than one to add to a category isn't beyond me. I'm glad you liked this. So far, I have everything I want to get for the boys, now to just buy them:)

Jessica (aka Faeanne) said...

I know everything I want to get for my boys- it's just a matter of doing it! :o) What's really got me stuck is the "something they want". That's the hard one for me b/c like you said in your blog post- I haven't gotten many realistic ideas.

LinkWithin

LinkWithin