While catching up on my blogs through Google Reader I seen a great post by one of my favorite Nice Blogs- Operation Nice. She shared a link she found via a friend of hers and I just had to share it as well. It’s “88 Ways to Make a Stranger Smile.” I know many people couldn’t care less if they made someone they didn’t know smile- but if you stop and think about it that’s one of the greatest & easiest thing you could do to make your day better. If you make that one little effort you’ll not only make someone else’s day brighter- I can guarantee you’ll walk away 20 times happier as well. And that happiness will spread to those you love and those you don’t as well.
For anyone that thinks it takes money or a lot of time to spread smiles- check out these ideas off the list that don’t cost a dime:
1. Smile often. It’s a reported fact- one smile can generate 100’s more throughout a day as it’s passed on from person to person!
2. Hold a door open for someone. This is a simple old courtesy that isn’t seen much anymore and just about everyone is appreciative of.
6. Give a compliment about a waiter, waitress, sales clerk, etc. to his or her manager. Think of how good it feels to hear from your boss that a customer or co-worker went out of their way to tell them what a good job you did- don’t you want to share that feeling with someone else?
7. Compliment a stranger’s appearance. Flatter them. If you catch yourself thinking how pretty someone is, or that their outfit or jewelry is stunning- don’t keep it to yourself- tell them!
24. Tell your boss, teacher or professor that he or she is doing a great job and that you appreciate what they’ve taught you. Yes- this isn’t considered butt-kissing if you’re sincere and don’t overdo it. The one’s that are teaching us love to hear that we appreciate it and we really are taking it in.
34. Let someone with only a few items cut you in line at the grocery store. I know this has made my day better before and I was grateful to the one that was gracious enough to offer it.
37. Repeat something nice you heard about someone else. Instead of spreading that mean foul gossip- start a niceness vocal chain! If you’re tempted to share a catty remark about someone- choose to tell about how nice someone else was instead. Not only will that give you better Karma- it will make you a better person in other’s eyes as well. Win-win!
82. If you see a couple taking a self-picture, offer to take the picture for them. Oh how I wish someone would offer this to me & the hubs! We might actually have some more good couple pictures then!
And to add to the above smile suggestion: Offer to take a family’s picture as well! Often the mom or dad is left out of most pictures b/c they’re the one’s always behind the camera.